Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Twenty-Ninth Passage

As part of our school every day, we read a chapter or few in a children's book. The benefits to being read out loud to are many and important, so it's something I want to always do with my children. Plus, I really want to foster in them a love for books and reading. 

The first book we read this school year was Holes, by Louis Sachar.

It was a little too advanced for them, and I had a hard time keeping their interest. But they were excited to watch the movie when we finished reading it.

When that book was finished, I wanted to get a better library of children's books to choose from. So I went shopping at thrift stores. I probably found about 20 good books to read to the kids.

Now we are reading The Great Gilly Hopkins, which is one of my all time favorite children's books by Katherine Patterson, who is probably my all time favorite children's book authors.
I LOVE this book! I've found that the boys listen to me read much better if I let them draw or color when I read. It was a nightmare to get them all to sit quietly on the couch while I read. When they draw, they have something quiet that they give their attention to, they aren't poking or bugging each other, and they aren't tempted to sneak away. It's working much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment