Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Twenty-second Passage

Morgan and William are due to start kindergarten. Both will be six in October, and both know the basics of reading and arithmetic. Both are smart and we think both would benefit most from a home education. David and I were homeschooled, so it's what we know and want for our kids.
Happily, all parents involved consented to us schooling them at home. Yay!
We have been doing some preparation for school to start. Their toy room now doubles as a school room. I had the boys help me hang posters and charts on the walls, and we let them all pick pencils, scissors, pencil boxes, and general supplies. We got their school books and had them write their names inside. And they are excited to start school!

The boys helped me cut out letters and words that will aid in teaching them how to read.


I'm pretty excited about school to start too. This year we are going to focus on reading and writing and basic math, of course, but we are also going to learn all the states and a little about them all. We have body books where they get to color a body part, (heart, brain, liver, etc) and then cut them out. I'll trace their bodies on butcher paper or something, and they can attach the body part to the right area of their own body tracing.
We'll also do science projects and crafts, and field trips with other homeschoolers. This is going to be fun!
. . .Right?
I'd much rather it be fun than a fight every day to get the kids to do their work, to please focus, to stop being distracted by the toys in the room, to not fight over chairs, or poke their brothers with pencils, and not to worry that Lydia gets to play when you don't, and yes, yes, you can read that word, you've done it lots of times before, and why are you ripping the pages out of your books?? and I'm sorry you don't get to do the craft, but you still haven't done your addition, and we have been sitting here for two hours, and all you've done is draw circles on the corner of your page, and the house is a mess, I haven't showered, I can't seem to teach you that you always start at the top when writing the letter I, I haven't seen another adult in three weeks, and how did you lose your pencil again? and no, we are not doing the body book just so you can talk about peepee's, and stop eating your crayons, and remember your inside voice, and get out from under the table, and didn't I tell you to stop poking your brother with your pencil? And PLEASE CAN IT BE THE WEEKEND??!?!

So, yeah. We are excited. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment