Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sixty-fourth Passage

Announcement!
I'm pregnant.
Hopefully this one lasts. I assume it will, since I made it thirteen weeks. I figured I couldn't keep the announcement much longer, because it is already becoming rather obvious to anyone who sees me that my tummy is popping.

We told the boys on Sunday. It was really fun to see their reactions; they're very excited. I'm looking forward to see how this baby affects the dynamics of the family. I hope it melds us together even more. The baby will belong to everyone; there will be no "step" attached.

I'm now a firm believer in low dose aspirin during pregnancy. When I lived in Utah, I briefly participated in the EAGeR trial, where women who had previously had multiple miscarriages were invited to join in the study. I gave blood, urine samples galore, and they had me keep a diary of some day to day activities, as well as ovulation tracking. They provided the materials for that. They also had me take folic acid and another pill. It was either a placebo, or a low dose aspirin. I will never know. The purpose was to determine if low dose aspirin during pregnancy would enhance the chances for women to get pregnant, and to stay pregnant. The results haven't been published yet.
Anyway, I didn't stay with the study for long, but I did remember the low dose aspirin thing. Here's the run-down. I had Morgan with no problems at all.  My next pregnancy miscarried at 11 1/2 weeks. I got pregnant a year later and miscarried at 6 weeks. I got pregnant awhile later, this time after participating in the trial, and so took a low dose aspirin every day. I had a couple earlyish ultrasounds that showed a subchorionic hematoma.  Basically, a blood clot in my uterus between the placenta and the uterine wall. This could be problematic later in pregnancy if it didn't resolve itself. But it did. Was it because I was taking a not-dangerous dosage of aspirin every day, helping to thin out the blood? I dunno. But I did have Lydia, a healthy baby girl.
A few months ago I miscarried again, around 9 weeks or so.

This time when I got pregnant, I made the decision to take the aspirin. And this time I am still pregnant, my belly is growing, and hopefully we'll get a baby.
So, if you have problems with conceiving or carrying a baby full term, you might try taking a baby aspirin along with your prenatal pill. I'm a proponent.

3 comments:

  1. That is very interesting with the aspirin. I may have to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you, Melanie! What a wonderful gift. I'll be praying for this pregnancy with you. What an interesting idea about the aspirin. I would be a proponent, too! Take care, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, congratulations, so exciting!! Second, thanks so much for sharing about the aspirin. I've had 2 in the past year and just last week a friend of mine was telling me about her success with the aspirin after multiple miscarriages, I think I'd better try it out, thanks!
    -Arianne

    ReplyDelete