Monday, August 8, 2016

Turley Family Reunion

My mom is the 2nd child of 13. Here they all are with Grandma. 
 Those 13 children grew up and most married and had children. Most had 5 or more kids. My grandparents have 66 grandchildren. It's probably around half of those grandchildren that have married and started families of their own, several with 6 or more kids already. This makes for pretty epic family reunions! We all live all over the United States, (though most centered in Utah) so it's hard to see everyone regularly, so the reunions are a great time to keep those family bonds strong. We've tried to do them every few years, but the last two were in Missouri. I wasn't able to attend the last one over there, so I was excited when they planned one in Utah last year. 
They're a big deal, so not just an afternoon. This one was several days. It started at a church building in the Murray area (I think). We had lunch, basketball, volleyball, and instructions. 




Then we all drove up in shifts to Park City to the lodge we'd rented for a few days. It had a bunch of rooms with bunk beds in the basement so we all managed to fit! There were lots of fun games, good food, and visiting at most hours of the day.
We also had a talent show. There is a lot of talent in the family, especially musical talent. I even got to show off my husband for the first time when he performed for everyone!



There was a sandbox and playground right outside the lodge where the children spent a lot of time.

Down the hill was a field, more playground equipment, and volleyball/basketball court.

There were fun group games like, Do You Love Your Neighbor. Even the kids could get in on that.
And we did jump rope. Who knew jump rope could be so entertaining! Lots of fun. I even did double dutch for the first time! I even successfully jumped in after the ropes had started. Still pretty proud of myself for doing that. Haha.

Here's my old mother and Uncle Matthew tearing it up.

Alli mostly had a blast.
But Alli also didn't want to take naps and sometimes fell asleep on accident but then would wake up if I tried to lay her down.
Jason brought his fiancee (at the time) Kendra. And he used a giant bowl for his taco salad when his measly normal person plate couldn't contain all he wanted.
My grandma got to meet David, William, Owen, and Alli for the first time. She lives in Missouri so it's rare that we get to see her. Lydia met her once before when she was under a year old, so she had no memory of meeting Grandma Turley before. David and his boys didn't stay for the whole thing because he had to get back to work and I failed to get a picture of William and Owen with Grandma before they had to leave.

Alli and Eden tore around the compound together. Relatives had a hard time telling them apart.


It was a grand time. I'm glad we got to go. I'm glad I have an awesome big family. I like them. 
I got a ride home with my parents. Alli was horrible for the drive. She really wanted Daddy and cried for him or whined for him for hours. 



No comments:

Post a Comment