Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Post-it #105

With summer here, and no school to take up time in our days, I knew I'd need something to keep the boys from expecting to play video games or watching movies all day, so I came up with a system of sorts.
To earn "points" to use electronics, they must complete chores. They have normal chores that they must do every day, and they earn a half hour of electronic time with that. But if they want more time, they can request another chore. I assign a point value to each chore depending on how difficult it is, or how much it's worth to me that I don't have to do it. :) One point is equal to one minute of electronic time.
I also wanted the older boys to keep up with their reading, so I have them read from a chapter book for 20 minutes a day. Each minute they read is also a minute towards video games or movies.

I was worried that implementing this new system would illicit many complaints and fits, but it hasn't. The boys have had a great attitude about it all, and ask for extra chores all the time. I think they actually like earning their playing time. It's been good. And my house has been cleaner. A win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment